Thursday, December 3, 2009

Carving the Pumpkin

We just carved our pumpkin this Tuesday (Dec. 1st!) Aren't I on top of things? I finally decided that we better carve the pumpkin so we could throw it away--and I thought O & K might like it. I hate carving pumpkins! I think they are hard to carve and it's disgusting to touch the slimy, orange, goopy insides and to pull out the slippery seeds. Besides, I can never make it look how I want it to look. I am impressed by people who carve fancy things out of their pumpkins, since I can't even carve a good jack-o-lantern face.Olivia was really excited to see what was inside the pumpkin that she chose (a long time ago). We had talked about the pumpkin seeds and she couldn't wait to see them all. She tried to touch the seeds and slime but could not bring herself to actually do it. She got pretty close but never actually touched anything, except the stem. Olivia did smell inside the pumpkin and she thought it smelled pretty good.Kyle just wanted to roll (and throw) the pumpkin, like any other round and brightly colored object. I showed Kyle a handful of seeds so he could see and touch them. He reached his hand out, grabbed three seeds, and shoved them into his mouth--yuck! I was only able to get two seeds out of his mouth so he will soon have a pumpkin growing inside his tummy. Here is the finished jack-o-lantern. You can see that I didn't clean it out very well and that I did the simplest things possible. The nose was really easy because that area was rotten so I just cut out the soft part. Brad was surprised when he got home to see that I had actually carved it all by myself. Olivia was pretty impressed that the pumpkin had "2 eyes--1, 2! and a nose circle, and a mouth". The morning after we carved it, there was already mold growing on our pumpkin so we said good-bye and threw it away.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Ah, the December carvings - good times! Good luck with that growing pumpkin in Kyle. This is another good example of the differences between boys and girls. Those two are super cute. We hope to see you soon.

Amy W. said...

I love that Olivia hated the pumpkin guts as much as you do. And, I love that Kyle is growing a pumpkin inside of him!